In the past few weeks I’ve been pretty busy! Just as I finished getting settled in I had a piece in my first show abroad (that makes me an internationally exhibited artist now).
On my trip to Berlin I traveled with Martin Blažíček one of the teachers at FAMU CAS and he asked me if I would like to submit something for the show which was being held at Galerie AMU. A few days after Berlin I prototyped up a piece which involved my head bouncing around on a screen and audio clips of me butchering the pronunciation of various czech words.
The night before I went to install in the gallery I made the rookie mistake of updating my HaxeFlixel library which changed the syntax, meaning my code didn’t work anymore. While not an unsolvable problem at 8pm the night before the show I didn’t have time to solve something that I wasn’t sure I could solve in time. I instead starting looking for a new solution. I spent a few hours attempting to remake the entire project in Processing, a programming language which I am much less comfortable, I decided it was time to go low tech.
Wanting to stick to the theme of how I as an english speaking American understood Czech I listened to the commentary of the 1998 Winter Olympic hockey game between the Czech Republic and Russia. I then wrote down what I heard as, even though I only understood about three czech words, jedno (one), veteran, and výborný (great).
The show ended up going great despite my last minute change. I saw Czechs with smiles on their faces once they were able to match my jibberish with the actual commentary. Even though it wasn’t my original idea I still consider it a success.
Here is an old man looking at my art
The night the show opened there were quite a lot of people at the gallery as well as some performances. One of the cooler ones was a drone that was tracked by a kinect in space and as it flew different sounds were generated. There was also a microphone sitting a fishbowl full of water that played back the sounds of the room through water and some speakers attached to long metal poles that distorted the sound.
A couple days after the opening I was able to figure out the HaxeFlixel issue so I submitted the piece to MICAs Taco Night Interactive Arts Juried Show. I will put it online in a few days but here is a screenshot
Over the weekend I attended an interactivity workshop where I did my best to build a synth that would make sound depending on your position in a 3D space. I made a sketch of what I wanted to do although pretty quickly realized that two of the sensors would be redundant.
Before I could get working on synth working I had to get the arduino to send data to Pure Data.
Once I had that working I moved to getting a sensor mapped to some oscillators that I made in Pure Data. Here is some
terrible video documentation.
And if you are interested the arduino file and pure data patch or on the Git here
Due to the limitations of the type of distance sensor I had I was never able to place them in the way I wanted by none the less had a lot of fun experimenting with Pure Data. And one of the best parts about the workshop was when my Czech friends made sushi on the last day!
busy busy busy!